A Great Loss to Our Community: Kiva (Dennis) Black
Kiva Black – July 26, 1963 ~ September 19, 2021
Kiva (Dennis) Black passed away September 19th after a short battle with stage IV colon cancer. Kiva was an integral part of the region, working as Sales Manager for the North Shore Journal, and very active in the community, living in the Finland area. His positive nature made friends everywhere he went. He was a big proponent of local food and sustainable agriculture and his love of gardening was well known. He was an integral part of the beginning of the Finland Food Chain project. He will be very much missed.
Part of Kiva’s memorial was that he wished people would donate to Friends of Finland to support our work, most specifically the work we are doing through the Finland Food Chain to support local agriculture and a thriving local food system. A number of people have made donations in Kiva’s name, and we want to thank them for their support.
Memorials in a loved one’s name are a simple, sweet way to support a cause that they cared about. If you feel moved to donate in honor of Kiva, donations can be made online here or checks can be mailed to Friends of Finland, PO Box 582, Finland MN 55603.
There are also many other ways to support our work financially:
- Matching gifts – Ask your employer about a matching gifts program. Your employer may be among the thousands of companies, including corporations, foundations, nonprofits and associations that match their employees’ charitable contributions—sometimes up to twice the amount of the initial gift.
- AmazonSmile – Do you shop online with Amazon.com? Do you want to help support our community programming, at no extra cost to you? Add us as your charity on AmazonSmile and a portion of each of your purchases will be donated to Friends of Finland!
- North Shore Federal Credit Union Patronage Rewards – if you are a member of NSFCU, you can donate funds from your patronage rewards account to any nonprofit organization you want to support that has an account at NSFCU, including Friends of Finland. Pennies add up. Just contact NSFCU!
- Create your own fundraiser on Facebook – Ask your social media networks to donate to Friends of Finland for your birthday.
- Gifts of stock – Giving non-cash property enables you to help Friends of Finland while conserving your cash for other uses. Plus, you may gain greater tax savings than you would if you made an equivalent donation of cash.
- Bequests – As you plan for the future of your family, please consider providing for the future of Friends of Finland’s work as well. Including FoF in your will lets you support your commitment to the Finland community well beyond your lifetime.
Please contact us at 218-353-0300 with any questions you have about donating.
Your support matters! Thank you so much!