Make a St Urho survival flag to show off how you have survived the last year!
Flags will be displayed on a float in the March 20th St Urho’s Parade! You can make your own OR blank flags and paint markers are available for anyone who needs them – call 218-353-0300 and we will get you a kit with materials.
Basic flag-making instructions:
Think of all the things that have helped you get through the past year. Choose one that really symbolizes survival for you. The simpler, the better. If you have more than one thing, you can make more than one flag! We want to have a lot of these flags on display in the parade. Don’t be shy!
- Sketch out your image for your flag with pencil on drawing paper.
- Once you are happy with your image, trace it with the iron-on fabric markers. You may need to go over the lines a few times to make a nice bold line.
- REMEMBER that any writing and image will show up backwards once ironed on.
- Place the image face down on your flag.
- Hold the paper in place and iron on the image. Do not use steam. Usually around 30-40 seconds.
- Once the image is transferred you can use your fabric markers to color in any area that needs coloring in. You can also trace the other side of the flag with your fabric markers so the image is on both sides.
Finished flags can be dropped off in the entrance to the Clair Nelson Center anytime between now and March 20th.
We went over ideas for flags and technique more in our online float workshop – video here.
2021 St Urho’s Schedule of Events here.
St Urho’s Weekend will be quite a bit different this year. There are no indoor social activities at the Community Center this year. Instead there will be a combination of online/livestream events as well as outdoor events, the main one being the parade at Noon on Saturday March 20th.
We ask that you wear masks and keep your group small so as to keep everyone safe so we can be together again next year. We will also be livestreaming the parade for folks to watch from home.
Let’s save our toilet paper and our grapes from those evil grasshoppers. We all know they hoarded the supplies others needed to survive. We fully understand the world isn’t out of the woods yet and that’s why we ask you to be safe.
Sunday, March 7th – Online Float Workshop – watch here.
Friday, March 12th – Making Mojakka – Online class taught by Dan Cahill Mathews – watch here.
Week of March 15th – 21st – Online Auction throughout the week – view and bid on items here: https://www.biddingowl.com/FinlandMN
Wednesday, March 17th – Evening – Virtual Ms. Helmi – Tune in on Facebook to watch and vote for the winner – voting open until Midnight Friday: www.facebook.com/sturho/
You can also watch it on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plnPK_ZLsFI
Friday, March 19th – 7pm – Online Panel Discussion about various St Urho’s Day Celebrations around the area – sponsored by FACA – Finnish American Cultural Activities. More info here: https://finnfaca.org/2021/03/13/st-urhos-day-panel-discussion/
Saturday, March 20th –
Noon – Tug of War across the Baptism River
Before and during the parade – Finland Fire and Rescue will be selling refreshments outside the Finland Fire Hall
Before and during the parade – AfterProm will be selling St Urho T-shirts.
Noon-1 pm – Parade through Finland on Highway 1. Call Cheri Bischoff at 218-220-9947 to register for the parade. The Parade will also be livestreamed on Facebook at www.facebook.com/sturho/
After the parade – Steve Solkela’s Overpopulated One Man Band will be performing outside in various locations around town.
After the parade – Four Seasons will have lunch and dinner specials (75% capacity).
After the parade – Wildhurst will have appetizer and drink specials (75% capacity).
After the parade – Our Place will have an outside beer wagon, bloody marys and sloppy joes inside in addition to their regular menu (75% capacity).
Sunday, March 21st –
4pm Raffle Ticket Drawing – Livestream – Drawing will take place outside at the Four Seasons – weather permitting. Door prizes start at 3:30pm and will be split between online and in-person viewers! Tune in to the St Urho’s Celebration in Finland, MN Facebook Page to watch.
Online Silent Auction ends at 7pm – view and bid on items here: https://www.biddingowl.com/FinlandMN
Camp Finland is hiring for Kids Camp and Teen Camp!
Camp Finland is on for June 14-18, 2021!
- Kids Camp Counselor
- Teen Camp Coordinator
- Teen Camp Counselor
Read below for more detailed job descriptions for each position.
Kids Camp Finland is a 4 day-long day camp. We focus on giving area youth the opportunities for friendship and discovery by providing them with activities and skills that will open their hearts and minds to the vast world around them.
Kids Camp Counselor: Camp Counselors will be primarily involved in pre-Camp work by attending meetings to stay involved/up to date with pre-Camp organization and planning the Camp week. Counselors will be paid for 8 hours per day of Camp as well as up to 10 hours of planning and set-up. Counselors will track their hours and keep the group informed if they are over or close to going over their allotted hours.
- Before and after the Camp week: they will need to be able to attend 1 full set-up day the weekend before and 1 full take-down day the weekend after.
- During Camp week, they will be focused on the kids and helping them navigate the daily schedule; letting them know what is available at what times, what behaviors are and are not acceptable.
- Counselors will be expected to engage with campers; helping campers if they are having a rough day or celebrating if they are having a good day or accomplished something difficult.
- Experience with teaching about nature would be great.
Teen Camp Finland is a week long (5 days – 4 nights) overnight camp for area teens focusing on developing a healthy sense of self and community belonging. We focus on love of nature, discovery, friendship, self worth and leadership. Teen Camp Finland will run from June 14th – 18th this year.
Teen Camp Coordinator: The two Teen Camp Coordinators will be working together to organize the infrastructure of Teen Camp. This will include recruiting, and together with the 2 Kids Camp Coordinators, hiring of all staff and volunteers. Coordinators will be paid for 14 hours per day of Camp as well as up to 80 hours of planning and set-up. Coordinators will track their hours and keep the group informed if they are over or close to going over their allotted hours. Other infrastructure will include:
- Coordinating with staff and volunteers to schedule all field trips, Day Counselors and activities in the lead up to Camp
- Scheduling of all camper transportation during Camp week
- Coordinating with Camp Cooks and Kitchen Assistants in the lead up to Camp
- Coordinating with Kids Camp staff to integrate the two camps during any overlapping scheduling
- Organizing and recruiting for camper enrollment
- Communication with parents/guardians
- Staffing of Camp week including a min of 1 full set up day the weekend before Camp and 1 full day the weekend after as well as the 4 overnights of Camp.
- Coordinators must attend 80 percent of all pre and post-Camp organizational meetings, in person or through web conferencing.
- Generally overseeing all aspects of Teen Camp Finland
Teen Camp Counselor: Teen Camp Counselors will primarily be involved in pre-Camp work through attending meetings to stay involved and up to date with the structure of the pre-Camp organization and the planning of the structure of Camp week in general. Counselors will be paid for 14 hours per day of Camp as well as up to 25 hours of planning and set-up. Counselors will track their hours and keep the group informed if they are over or close to going over their allotted hours.
- During Camp week, they will need to be able to attend a minimum of 1 full set-up day the weekend before Camp and 1 full day the weekend after as well as the 4 overnights of Camp.
- During Camp week, they will be primarily focused on the teens and keeping them where they need to be when they need to be there.
- Counselors will be expected to self-engage with teen campers verbally and emotionally on many levels. The ability to hold kids accountable and empower them at the same time is a must.
- Counselors will be expected to lead campers in activities like: campfire music, ghost stories, outdoor skills and games (capture the flag, campfire games etc.).
- Counselors must have lots of energy.
- Experience with teaching about nature would be great.
All of these positions (excluding Kitchen Assistants) require a background check and references.
Please fill out the form below to apply for this position:
Job Application - Youth Program
Please contact Honor Schauland for more information at 218-353-0300
Applications can also be mailed to Camp Finland, Friends of Finland, PO Box 582, Finland MN 55603.
Paper applications may be requested at the Clair Nelson Center during business hours. Call 218-353-0300 or email using the form above for more information.
All positions are paid $15/hour.
It’s been almost a year since St. Urho took to the woods to escape the pandemic. It’s time for him to come out and restock the essentials. Toilet paper, aluminum foil, yeast, and hand sanitizer to name a few.
How did you survive?
Were you creative? A house for every bird in the yard!
Handy? Put a faucet in every room!
Just a bit lazy? Who notices 20 pounds!
However you’ve survived, we want to know.
Join us for the St. Urho’s Day Parade on Saturday March 20th as we socially distance ourselves down Highway 1 in Finland MN at 12:00 noon.
Parade floats and crews should gather at the County garage around 11 to line up and get ready.
We ask that you wear masks and keep your group small as to keep everyone safe so we can be together again next year.
So let’s get together and save our toilet paper and our grapes from those evil grasshoppers. We all know they hoarded the supplies others needed to survive.
We fully understand the world isn’t out of the woods yet and that’s why we ask you be safe.
Should we need to cancel at the last minute we will try to let everyone know.
Please contact Cheri Bischoff, parade marshal, to participate in the parade at the following:
5841 Lax Lake Road
Silver Bay, MN 55614
(218) 220-9947 Call or text