St Urho ’23 and Me Thank Yous and Wrap Up
A giant KIITOS (THANK YOU) to all of the people who helped to make the 48th Annual St Urho’s Celebration happen. From the guys who put the sign up over the highway, to the folks in the parade, to all the raffle ticket sellers, to the businesses that helped out by donating or selling raffle tickets and buttons, you all help make this event happen. Thank you so much!
Big thanks to the outstanding crew that put on Miss Helmi, the great contestants this year and their helpers, and to the kind folks at the Our
Place for feeding the crew afterwards. Miss Helmi 2023 is Jonathan Beauchane, as Boj the Beauty Queen!
Thank you to Tina Kreger Buus for organizing our parade this year and thanks to Cheri Bischoff for training Tina in! Thank you to our flag bearers, and to all of the creative people with their amazing parade floats! You guys all rock! Thank you to our Grand Marshal Millie Goette!
Big thanks to Robin Sunquiet and Andrew Norcross for setting up and decorating the outdoor stage, to Robin and Steve Solkela and the Berserk Blondes for playing music outside during the day despite the chilly weather, to the Northern Stars for playing at the Clair Nelson Center, and to Lovin Lake County for sponsoring the whole thing.
Thanks to Crystal Bay Township for providing port-a-potties for the weekend! All of us really appreciate it!
We also want to acknowledge Adam’s Auto Value for sponsoring and providing the sober cab – it really is a great option and helps keep everyone safe! Thanks so so much!
Huge shout-out to all the individuals and businesses who donated for the online auction and for door prizes for the raffle ticket drawing this year! There were so many beautiful items donated. Thank you so much! Thank you bidders! And the donated door prizes really help to make the drawing a festive event.
- Adam’s Auto Value
- All in One Fitness & Tanning
- Amber Klinker – Scentsy
- AmericInn by Wyndham Silver Bay
- AmericInn by Wyndham Tofte
- Avon- Donna McCurdy-Wolke
- Baptism River BBQ
- Bay Trip Licensing & Outfitters
- Beaver Bay Mobil Mart
- Beaver Bay Sports
- Blackbear Outfitters- Dick Krech
- Black Beach Mini Golf
- Bluefin Bay Resort
- Briesa’s Convenience Store
- Castle Danger Brewery
- Clearview General Store- Chris Homyak
- Cove Point Lodge
- Creating My Journey- Jessie Anderson
- Della Moose – Molly Conway
- Don’s Auto Repair & Towing
- Finland Cooperative Company
- Finland Fire Department- Ric Carriveau
- Finland Snowmobile / ATV Club
- Finnskogen Farm- Kaare & Pam Melby
- Fish Out Of Water
- Four Seasons Supper Club
- Friends of the Finland Community
- Holiday Stationstore Beaver Bay
- Hugo’s Bar
- J&H Auto Repair & Towing
- Jen’s North Shore Nursery
- Joe Nicklay- SB Marina
- John’s Santitary Removal (D&D Services)
- Judy Martell
- Julie’s True Value
- Just Plain Sorrel – Christine & Libby Althaus
- Knotted Pine Inn & Tavern
- Lauri Hohman
- Mabel Tarlton
- Maple Grove Lodging
- Marine General
- Nacho Bizness
- North Shore Area Partners
- North Shore Federal Credit Union
- Northshore Barber Shop
- Northwoods Family Grille
- Paparazzi – Debbie Ahlbeck
- Silver Bay Municipal Bar & Liquor Store
- Silver Bowl
- St. Urho Committee
- The Green Door- Clayton Alborn
- The Well Northshore- Mel Dubbin
- Thirty-One Gifts – Gloria Stern
- We Are The Body Solutions – Demetrius Hill
- Wildhurst Lodge & Campground
- Wildly Organic
- Wolf Ridge ELC
- Zups Food Market & Dollar Store – Silver Bay
Thanks to Senja Ahlbeck and Heather Sve for all of their work to gather door prizes and online auction items, and to Randy Duke for assisting.
Thanks to Wildhurst Lodge for hosting the raffle ticket drawing this year and thanks to everyone who helped out the day of the drawing! Raffle Drawing Winners were:
- 1st Place: $600 – Audrey Sve of Split Rock (ticket sold by Heather Sve),
- 2nd Place: $300 – Angie Ohman of Finland, MN (ticket sold by the Trestle Inn),
- 3rd Place: $200 – John Pepelnjak of Duluth (ticket sold by Honor Schauland),
- 4th Place: $100 – Kyle Gibbons of Ely (ticket sold by LuVerne Ellis),
- 5th Place: $100 – Chris Homyak of Lutsen (ticket sold by Clearview/Chris Homyak), and
- 6th Place : $100 Chris Homyak of Lutsen (ticket sold at the drawing).
Ticket sales are what funds most of this event! Thanks again to all for supporting St Urho’s Day!
It really does take the whole town and then some to put on this event, so to everyone who helps – THANK YOU! We’ll see you next year!
With so much love and gratitude,
the St Urho Committee