Please join us on April 28th from 3pm – 5pm at the Clair Nelson Center for the continuation of the Community Food Conversation! We will be talking more about specific projects this time, including, but not limited to, a community garden, local foods directory, more farming and gardening classes, local wild rice processing, a local producers cooperative and more! Come help us build a local food system and stay for the April Community Potluck afterwards from 5-8pm.
A huge thanks to everyone who came to the Finland Food Chain Community Conversation on April 6th, 2019! Over 85 people attended and participated. The food was great. The conversations were even better. We also got a lot of feedback and direction for the Finland Food Chain that we really needed to hear.
The priorities or values identified on April 6th were:
- We want the ability to eat healthy local food year round.
- We need more food, farming and gardening related education.
- We need it to be easy for consumers to source food that is healthy and local.
- We need many local growers and producers who are able to make an equitable living and have access to required infrastructure.
- We need infrastructure to enable processing locally grown, harvested, raised, and gathered foods in our own community rather than transporting them far away.
- We need government policies that encourage “our kind of farming.
Many worthy projects were identified at the April 6th meeting. The ones we plan to start with will be the ones where people are willing to put time and energy into figuring out what it would take to make them happen. At the April 28th meeting, we are hoping to identify working groups, workplans and quite likely budgets for a good number of these projects. Join us for the second half of the Conversation!